The Most Important Muscle in the Body
I’m convinced that the most important part of losing weight and getting in great shape is making up your mind to do it.
Have you ever wondered why some days you just couldn’t drag yourself to the gym? Or why you had lapses in willpower at 4pm on the Monday when you just started your new diet? Or why you couldn’t say no to the second helping of toasted Nutty Krust and butter? It’s because of negative programs in your subconscious mind which controls your behaviour.
Now I’m not saying that you can “think yourself thin” but there are scientifically proven ways to help achieve your fat loss and fitness goals by channeling your mental energies properly. One of the first things I get my clients to do in my online fat loss program.
The number one reason for failure in losing body fat- and in life- is the lack of clearly defined written goals. Action without planning is one of the biggest causes of failure. Your subconscious mind is like the engine room in a ship and your conscious mind is like the captain steering the ship. If your instructions coming from the captain (conscious mind) whether good or bad, the crew in the engine room will obey (subconscious mind). For example, if you are constantly saying to yourself in your head, I’ll always be fat or I can’t lose weight, then the subconscious mind will see to it that the orders are obeyed. If you program your mind with negative suggestions often enough, it will lead you right into cheating on your diet, skipping workouts or some other form of self sabotage.
Here are some points to help you get to your fat loss target.
- Be specific. Clients say to me “I want to be skinnier” or “I want to lose weight”. Narrow it down, how much, by when, what dress size do you want to be?
- Measurable. Don’t go by the scales as your primary determinant of success. Use the measuring tape or body fat callipers.
- Set big goals. I tell my clients to make their goals scare them a little, if it doesn’t then it’s too small. Move out of your comfort zone. Be the best you can be
- Deadlines. Set realistic deadlines. “Lose 14lbs in 14 days” don’t get lured by the crazy adverts promoting a quick fix. Be realistic. Usually it’s not the goal that’s unrealistic but the deadline.
- Set long term and short term goals. Look at the big picture and then break it down into bite sized chunks that are manageable.
- Write down goals. Write down what you want NOT what you don’t want.
- Mentally visualise. Visualise your goals as if you have already achieved them.
If you are thinking of starting your own body and mind transformation, take a look at my successful 6 week better bodies program.
Don’t forget to follow us on our social media channels to stay up to date with our blogs!